Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Technology to the pregnancy?!?!?

A few weeks after we found out that we expecting my wife downloaded an application for her iPod that has allowed us to know what is going on with our babies development (link to the app down below).  So for instance today, being the 32nd week (with 7 or 8 weeks to go), that generally our baby has fingernails and toenails and some hair.  He's also gaining his baby fat so that he's ready to survive outside of the womb.

I made the comment to my parents, after we told them we were expecting, that technology has changed so much.  When I was born there was no 15 minute pregnancy test, or so I'm told.  You had to dang near be a chemist to find out if you were pregnant and it took a couple of hours at least.  I believe that there were ultrasounds but not like there is now. After we had our first ultrasound they told us that there were a few complications and that we'd need to have ultrasounds every four weeks so that we could make sure that he's developing as he should be.  Luckily we've got insurance and they are paying for a bunch of it, as are we, but I'm glad that we have the option of ultrasounds so that we know what's going on and can hopefully avoid and complications.  We have another one of these ultrasounds this Thursday and I'm looking forward to seeing him again.  Hopefully he will pose this time and we will get to see his face and not just his foot!

A few weekends ago we took a cram birthing course (we are having our baby at a hospital that is 45 miles away).  I was a bit nervous but I'm glad I did take the course.  Let me first say that me and hospitals don't get along.  However after this course I'm confident that I'll get through it.  One thing they showed us was how to measure the contractions and such.  We've got a nice chart sitting on the fridge that I've looked at and I could use if I needed to but once again technology to the rescue.  Thanks to a relative having a child not to long ago, I'm aware of some contraction applications that will help us.

So technology has changed a lot, but I can see the flip side as well.  Perhaps to much information is not a good thing, but I think in this case the more we know the better.

Has technology helped you and your wife through your pregnancy?

BabyCenter Application for iPhone/iTouch

If you do a search for contraction timers on iTunes you'll come up with about 10 of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment