Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review of Baby Furniture by Stork Craft

Future dads, whether you like it or not you will be putting together some sort of baby furniture.  Just this last weekend I finished putting together all of ours.  Let me give you a few tips on what I know now (I've put together my fare share of store bought furniture) and buying online.
  • Some piece of furniture will come with the tools that you need to assemble it.  I've found that over time these tools just make the job take longer.  If you've got a drill your one step ahead.  If you have a ratchet screwdriver you'll also be much further ahead.  These are the basics of what you'll need (possibly a hammer as well).  
  • You won't be able to use the drill on everything.  For the baby furniture I put together the only thing I could use the drill on was putting the backing pieces on.  Everything else I had to use the ratchet screwdriver on which sped up the process.  
  • Lastly read the instructions and be patient.  I know we want to get it done as fast as possible, but if we skip the instructions we'll be making extra work for ourselves.  Having said that, some of the instructions are not the best so you may have to interpret them.  If you need to, consult with your wife, but don't degrade her if you don't think her idea will work.  

Originally we had planned on buying our furniture from Baby's R Us and it was EXPENSIVE.  I knew it would be, but it took my breath away the first time I saw the cost.  And as much as I loathe all of the e-mails I get from Amazon, I do appreciate them a bit more after how much money they saved us on baby furniture.  Originally we planned on getting 2 pieces of furniture from Baby's R Us, but we were able to get 3 pieces from Amazon for about $100 less.

You might be a bit skeptical about buying online, and I can only speak for the Stork Craft stuff that we bought, but it was packaged very well.  Nothing was harmed in the delivery and shipping process despite the fact that the boxes looked like they'd been tossed around by Zeus!

So here's what we got and some thoughts on them.

Stork Craft Tuscany 4-in-1 Stages Crib, Espresso - Super easy to setup into the crib.  Instructions reside on the bad support in the crib so you won't be losing those. There are 2 pieces that you will need to store when you transform into it's other stages.  We've put ours under the crib.  I give it a 5 out of 5 stars.

Stork Craft Aspen Combo Dresser Chest, Espresso - So this was the second piece of hardware to arrive.  It's a bit bigger and more complicated to put together, but that should be expected with what it is.  The instructions where pretty good, as good as the crib, however when they don't send the correct piece you are left implementing your interpretation of what they are trying to tell you. So we did get this put together and it works, but it's not the way the instructions direct and I suspect if you looked closely you could tell that we had to improvise.  I give it 3 stars out of 5.  Lastly...you will require another set of hands towards the end. 

Stork Craft Aspen 3 Drawer Chest, Cherry - (we got ours in Espresso to match the other furniture, but apparently that's out of stock now!) - This one was as easy to put together has the crib.  Didn't require my wifes help.  No missing pieces on this one.  5 out of 5 stars.

I'm sure I'll have many more things to review as we get to using them, but for now this is what I can tell you guys about.  Don't be afraid to save money and order online (at least with the 3 things I linked above) and use the free shipping from Amazon. That right there saved us nearly $200!!

So guys what have you had to put together for coming child and do you have any funny stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment